Monday, April 28, 2014

Food Intolerances & Allergies: You Most Likely Have 'Em

Do you suffer from stomach distress, insomnia, weight problems, or even constipation/diarhea? Does it seem like you've tried everything but can't find a rememdy.

Well, you might just be suffering from a food allergy/intolerance.

A lot of you might know by now that I deal with a lot of health problems. And by a lot, I mean a helluva lot.

My problems started when I was 14 and randomly dropped 15 pounds with no real cause. I even lost this weight before I went vegetarian, so my mom was still feeding me back then. Shortly before or after, I started having horrible PMS and developed rosacea.

It's been a few years later, and I now deal with even more problems. My teeth are decaying. I deal with adrenal fatigue, constipation, and horrible stomach aches.

I've tried literally everything. Eating more. Going gluten free. Adding more magnesium. Taking bentonite clay. I've tried all the obvious ones, but I think I've finally found what's wrong with me.

About a few months ago, I started digging into intolerances, and my symptoms lined up really well with them. I knew it couldn't be corn or soy because I honestly don't eat much of those two food groups at all.

I tried going gluten free for two weeks, but nothing seemed to change. I did go dairy free for a few days at that time, but I wasn't keeping a food diary. Now I'm back onto keying in on diary cause I'm starting to beleive it's a lactose intolerance.

Which leads me up to a few weeks before. I was doing really great with my diet, eating nothing but homemade foods. I ate nothing processed at all and no gluten. The only dairy I was consuming was butter.

But I still didn't feel right. I still kept getting stomach aches. So then I cut dairy out for a few days. I can't quite remember if I felt much better, but three days in, I stepped on the scale and had gained two pounds.

I thought to myself, how is this possible? I never gain weight that easy. I didn't even eat that much food! And mind you that on Easter, I stuffed myself with over two-thousand calories and dropped a pound! I didn't eat nearly that much on the day I stepped on the scale and gained weight.

I also found myself sleeping easier. Instead of tossing and turning for two hours, I fell asleep within an hour.

So could it be a lactose intolerance? Quite possibly, and that's why I'm going dairy free, starting tomorrow. If I gain over 5 pounds without even trying hard, I think I'll have found my answer.

Hopefully this will be a light in the tunnel to reversing my helath problems, and hopefully, if you suffer like I do, you'll look into food intolerances/allergies and find your answer as well.

Do you have a food intolerance? How and when did you discover it?
-Kai

No comments:

Post a Comment