Monday, February 10, 2014

Cavities: The Sugar Conspiracy

On my journey to remineralizing teeth, I've been looking at what truly causes decay. Of course what modern society theories tell us are always wrong. Such as: if you don't brush your teeth, you'll get a cavity!

That theory is so beyond wrong...


But then there's the same old mantra dentist always say: Sugar causes cavities.


Is this theory true? At first I thought it was bogus. I mean hell, I've been eating a pretty clean diet the last few years. Not very many junk foods, but I was still eating a high amount of sugar. Just no soda or excess amount of chocolates involved.


Now here's a little passage taken from: http://www.healthyteeth.org/cavities/sugar.html

"Sugar plays a harmful role in tooth decay. The bacteria that form together to become plaque use sugar as a form of energy."

Now I think that first sentence is kind of true. The second sentence I haven't entirely figured out if its true. On one hand, bacteria does not cause tooth decay. But does it cause plaque? I don't think so. The only plaque I have is from where the dentist scraped and scraped my teeth, then said to "brush more", in which then developed even more plaque even after brushing more. Which leaves me scratching my head and believing their theories are complete bullshit.

Now here's another passage taken from: http://www.livescience.com/2011-truth-tooth-decay.html
"The reason is that sugar doesn't rot your teeth. Surprised to hear that? Tooth decay is caused by acid-producing bacteria in your mouth that feast on carbohydrates, be it sugar from candy or starch from wholesome foods such as bread."


Now to me, that first sentence totally rings true to an extent. The rest goes downhill for me because I still don't believe it's bacteria.

On my research, I've found that the acidic part is right. It's just not caused by this "bacteria" we speak of. I mean to extent it is. I'll explain myself. When we eat processed foods, we receive no real nutrients from it, and in return, it makes our bodies acidic. So does dairy and meats. So when our bodies are in a state of acidity, the body pulls minerals from our cells to neutralize this acidity. What does this have to deal with bacteria? Well, it does in a sense. Because when our bodies are acidic, it kills off the good bacteria, leaving the bad bacteria to over-ride our systems.

Now what does this have to deal with sugar?

Well on my reserach, (I'm trying to find the website in which I found this) I found some facts that totally made sense to me. On one hand, sugar isn't the sole factor of decay, but it can cause decay. Because sugar is just sugar, it has no nutrients of any kind. It's been depleted of these things by being processed. If you didn't know, raw sugar has been outlawed, which in fact does have all its nutrients in tact. Go figure its outlawed, just like raw dairy. But since sugar has no nutrients, it draws those nutrients out of our bodies, which is what causes the decay. Not because bacteria "feeds" on it.

Didn't find the website I looked at before, but this one has a passage that says what I said above quite nicely:
"Sugar is virtually devoid of any key vitamins and minerals. Sugar contains 16 calories per teaspoon but has no B vitamins, chromium, magnesium, zinc or other trace minerals that the body needs to digest and metabolize it.   Thus, to fully move the sugar through your digestive system, you body has to take B vitamins and other trace minerals from the healthy the food you eat, or from vitamins and minerals that your body is storing for future use. As a result, the sugar essentially robs your body of these beneficial nutrients. . Your body could be using these nutrients for more important purposes such as fighting infections, warding off allergies, or just plain energy."
-Taken from:  http://www.mcvitamins.com/health%20opponents/sugar.htm


So what's your theory on tooth decay?

-Kai

2 comments:

  1. Order a Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and SAVE BIG!
    * 10 shades whiter in days!
    * Professional Results Guaranteed.
    * Better than your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
    * Same Teeth Whitening Gel as dentists use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Diet Taps into Innovative Concept to Help Dieters Lose 15 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete