Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dream Big

Following your dreams is a scary thing for most people. Nobody knows how to go about it. I see many young teens and adults who aspire for more in their life. Some want to be singers; some want to be authors; others just dream big.

And it's sad to say that many of these people don't even attempt to live out those dreams. I mean, how do you unless you try? Well, it's because we're scared of failure. We're scared that we won't be loved or that we'll be made fun of.

Many people think I'm extremely stupid for not going to college, but I just got out of high school! I have my whole life ahead of me. I don't want to be in debt as soon as my life starts. I have dreams I must chase after because if I don't, then what's the point of living?

You can't live out those dreams unless you try. The big stars out there wouldn't be acting unless they pursued those dreams, and you can't sit their and wallow in those dreams unless you have failed.

But failure only makes us stronger. We learn from it. If it weren't for failure, we'd be going in a straight line our entire lives, doing exactly what everyone else is doing for eternity.

And I know with dreams, there comes sacrifices as well. My all time dream of becoming a successful author may not live to its standards, but how do I know? Why should I give up on that dream? Just because it doesn't seem possible?

And many teenagers don't try because they're too preoccupied with what society wants you to be preoccupied with: self-acceptance on social networking, drinking, partying, smoking.

But not for me. Instead of doing all of that stuff while I was in high school, I came home everyday and wrote. It was my way of escaping this world and i'ts cruelty.

I have a successful friend who did the same things; he spent all of his free time developing video games. Everyone made fun of his because he had "no life". But guess what? He's rich now, and most importantly, living out his dream.

What if that could happen to me? Why should I miss out on that opportunity? Just so I can be like everyone else?

Life can always move forward, but you can't go back.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, excellent, excellent. I took three years off after graduating high school. {I told people it was just one year, but, uh, I was hoping it would last longer.} I spent those years writing, and this past year I actually did go to college like one is supposed to do. It was great, but I don't at all regret taking those years off. {Except for forgetting all my mathematics.} I applaud you for following your dreams and not just talking about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad there are others out there like me. If I was going straight to college, I'd be going mad right now. High school literally drove me mad, so why would I want to keep driving myself insane?

      Goodluck to you!

      Delete