Saturday, November 10, 2012

Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

http://novelnovice.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/clockwork-angel1.jpg 


Ahh what a lovely book cover that is. I just recently finished this book written by my favorite and most inspiring author, Cassandra Clare. She also wrote the Mortal Instrument series which I may rave about on occasion. And with this series, it's set in the same type of world with similar characters, but this one is set back far in the past. I absolutely adore the idea of using the same structures of a story, according to its world and whatnot, but with different characters that tie into the other book.

I will rate this book based on a few categories, such as writing, characters, and storyline. (Caution: This book review is done out my own good heart, and nobody has persuaded me to do this!)

First of all, the writing:
Cassandra Clare has a wonderful, unique way of writing that has followed into this series. As it was in the Mortal Instrument Series, she continues to choose the third person POV. I am usually not a fan of this type of POV, but Clare has a way of capturing every detail with it and providing so much information pertaining to the characters. Yeah, you may not be living as one of the characters, but it's as if your floating right above them watching them. It's something I can't really put in words; it's extraordinary really. And she does a great job following the English accent. I would give it a 5 out of 5 stars.


Second of all, the characters:
The main character is Tessa Gray, who's moving to London(? I think) from New York to meet her brother. She's an ordinary character, nothing too special about her in the beginning but eventually her character grows and you get to meet her as that old fashion, never wanting to disappoint anyone type of girl. And the two main guy characters. Oh my! They're so wonderfully developed. They're names are Will and Jem. Both of them have two distinct personalities and two very dark pasts. You either love them or hate them. Clare makes it so easy to relate with these characters and feel sympathy for them. I love when authors do this; it makes the book all the more enjoyable. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.


The last but not least is the storyline:
The beginning of this book as I said above is about Miss Tessa Gray moving to London after her aunt dies. She expects to see her brother, but is saddenly disappointed when these two older women greet her and tell her that her brother had sent them for her. She's taken to this house where they basically treat her like crap and whatnot, and she has yet to see her brother or know whether he's alright. This is the most extremely boring part of the book, I have to admit. I had the hardest time reading it because nothing special happened. It just moved along so sluggishly. And the same happened throughout half the book until halfway through where it picks up and gets interesting. And this has discouraged many people from reading it or continuing to the next one. But give it a try! I just started on the second one, and oh my heavens, I can't stop reading it. Compared to taking a year to read the first one (which my friend kept pushing me to finish it so I could get to the second one), I have already gotten halfway through the second one in three days. It's simply wonderful! So I'm sorry to say this Clare, but I have to give the storyline a 2 out of 5 stars. It was a good idea, but it moved so so slow.


So there you have it. It may be a very slow paced book, but it's worth it to get to read the second one. The two guy characters will win you over and so will the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment