Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Crocheting: The Lost Skill

Now, let me tell you the complete, honest truth: I have no idea how to crochet, none. But I am determined to learn how once I actually get the materials and a good book.

It really makes me wonder what happened to these type of skills. Are we really that sucked into society that we have lost all the important trades and skills our ancestors once honed? Yet now we live in a world where children are obsessed with technology, mostly their "precious" cell phones. Now don't get me wrong; cell phones are wonderful, but kids these days take it to the extreme. When you begin sending over 8k texts in one month, something is completely wrong with you, and you're likely to develop Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I, for one, do not want to grow up like this.

I really wish my grandmother would've taught my mom all these skills such as crocheting, sewing, knitting, and so on because I'd love to actually do something good with my life. And you can actually make money off this stuff and save money rather than buying for convenience. In my opinion, it's much more valuable if you make it yourself.

These are skills our generation is letting go, and instead, we are picking up far worse skills like texting and surfing the internet for hours on end.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm glad I picked up writing because it keeps me away from the fantasy world (haha ironical there) that society lives in. I want to live in a world that benefits myself, rather than everyone else.

I'm digressing here. What I really wanted to explain was how I'm going to learn how to crochet; I'm determined to learn no matter how hard it's going to be to learn by myself. I found a few books with cute patterns that I hope to be successful at, and once I master the skill, I plan to open up an Etsy shop (Etsy is like Ebay, except everything is homemade).

And I plan to share my experience of learning how to crochet with all you guys.

Maybe I'm a little too obsessed with this, lol
I welcome you to my journey!
~Kai

2 comments:

  1. Go for it, there are some great utube videos that will walk you though the stitches. I learned from my mom and will teach my daughter when she is older. I have also taught friends. Have fun!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love seeing people crochet, and I can't wait to learn how. At my job, these old ladies come in and knit/crochet every Monday. It's soo cute!

      Delete