Friday, July 13, 2012

Beginning of a Random Story

 So I started on a new story a while back, which I realized has too similar of a plot to another book that's published called, The Selection, and it's written by Kiera Cass.


I have not read it, but here's the cover, pulled from Amazon.            The Selection



But I might as well share what I've written since I won't be publishing this or anything spectacular with it. It's in it's first form, so I didn't edit it or anything like that.





Straight across from me stood my target. I steadied myself, locking my eyes on it, clenching my sword with both hands. Even breaths, I told myself, Don’t overdo it this time. My long blazing auburn hair shined in the sun’s rays that peeked through the trees overhead. I threw my head backwards, my hair falling behind my back. I couldn’t afford any distractions. I gripped the brilliant red hilt of my sword, its smooth curve snugged in my hands. Even breaths, I reminded myself.
    I swallowed back the nervousness coursing through my veins, begging it to go away. Then, as I exhaled all my breath, I dashed forward, swinging my blade with all my might. Whoosh. The sword sliced right through the thick wood, cutting it with one clean swing. Lowering my hands to my side, I stared in amazement at my accomplishment.
    “Bravo, Lacey. I knew you could do it!” My mother clapped from behind me.
    I turned around to face her, a grin wild on my lips. I had actually done it. It only took a few tries, but I’ve perfected the perfect swing of my own sword. I noticed the folded fabric slung across my mother’s shoulders, a light shade of red. She followed my gaze, picking it up and heading my way. She held it out before me, the top of the fabric stitched with my own name. “Your finally ready,” she told me. “You’ve earned the first step towards becoming a lady.”
    Taking it from her arms, the plushness soothed my fingers. I stared at it, bewildered. “What is this?” I brushed my fingers over, first over the L, then the A, then the C. Each letter felt silky to the touch. I still couldn’t believe what I’d done. I had actually used my sword correctly.
    My mother stared at me, her pearl pink lips smiling at me. She wore the usual attire, a long gray wraparound dress tied with a purple string at the waist. On the front, its graphic matched the string, a picture of a large tree, its branches going off across her chest. “Master Len will be very proud of you.”
    “Mom, but what does it mean?” I threw the blanket over my shoulder, glowering at her. I hated it when she refused to answer my question. I drew my lips into a scowl, crossing my arms over each other.
    “Oh come. I guess it’s time for you to know.” My mother motioned me to follow after her towards our house. I glanced out around us, noticing the utter silence floating within the woods. In every direction, the trees never ceased to end. They spread out far and wide as the eye could see, but no other houses were in sight. Ever since I was little, I wondered what laid out beyond the boundaries of our village, but since the girls in the village were young, we were taught to never question what we were told. It struck me as funny that it was considered such a sin of all things, but I didn’t want to find out the consequences.
    I pushed through the door after my mother through our log cabin house, placing my sword in its rack by the door. She walked into the kitchen, heading straight for the yellow kettle sitting on the stove, steam pouring from its spout. It whistled a high-pitched tune, a subtle but noticeable noise. “Tea, my dear?” she asked, pulling open the nearby wooden oak cubbard overhead.
    “Yes, please." Our round dining table sat in the far corner of the room, between the open space lingering from the kitchen and living room. I ascended the step, bringing you up to a little secluded round space, mimicking the table’s outline. A long window stretched around the space. I seated myself on the far end away from the kitchen, near the wall separating the living room and my room. I folded my hands on top of each, not sure what my mother was about to tell me. Even breaths. The pulse under my skin began to speed up, and I fiddled with my fingers, trying to calm myself down.
    My mother placed a pink mug down before me and set the creamer and sugar in the middle of the table. Her hair draped down in my vision, its length twice as long as mine, but held the same redness in its locks. She sat down across from me, only four table around our table to begin with. Then, she took a deep breath, reach over the table, and placed a hand on mine. “Honey,” she began, bringing my attention up to her, “It’s time I told you what happens on your sixteenth birthday.”
    The seriousness in her voice caught me off guard. I looked at her, my pulse stuttering in the tips of my fingers. I always hated having serious talks with adults. Usually they weren’t good in any way possible, and my sixteenth birthday was only three days away. My mother continued, “I don’t know if I ever mentioned the village’s Knight before, but there’s something you should know. He’s quite a heck of a young boy. I mean, a heck of a good-looking one.” She mused over the thought for a moment before moving on, “Well, for every girl that turns sixteen this year, you will be presented to the Knight and given a task. All of you will compete to finish the task first, and whomever wins, will get to marry the Knight.”
    I stared down into my coffee, watching the steam swirl up into the air. Sucked into my own daydream, I thought of meeting this boy. I wasn’t sure what it would be like. In our village, Wallen, the only guy us girls ever knew of was our father, Master Len. He taught us everything there was we needed to know, especially how to wield a sword. “So are you trying to tell me that only one of us can have true love?”
    My mother’s eyes fell blank. I completely regretted asking her when I remembered she had to go through the same procedure, and consequently, she lost just like a lot of other women. I wished that I could take the words back, but that would be impossible. “I’m sorry,” I told her. “I didn’t mean it like that.”
    My mother wiped the perimeter of her eyes dry and bit her bottom lip, “No, it’s fine.” She gathered her hair in her hands, twisting it tightly, then she dropped it. The chair screeched as she moved it backward, getting up from her seat. “I’m going to take a nap. Master Len needs to see you.”
    I stared after her, still feeling horrible about bringing up her past. Picking up the creamer, I sweetened up my coffee, gulping it down in a hurry. Then, I cleaned up the mess, placing the sugar and creamer away. Ducking out of the door, I glanced back down the hallway, worried about my mother.

1 comment: