Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

To be honest, I've never done a book review, but this book has tempted me to do it (with its beautiful cover and all). It's so magical that I just had to do as it asked.


Since I've never done a book review before, I'll make up some guidelines for myself. I will rate this book based on the writing, characters, and storyline. Plus, I'll give an overall rating, too.


First off, I should give you a summary of the book which comes from the back cover:

 Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her (now ex) boyfriend, she's happy to be spending the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

On the lush, beautiful island, Miranda finds new friends and a community with a mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, romance...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?



Okay, first off is the writing:
All throughout the book, I felt like I was at the ocean, and every time I read it, I wanted to be at the ocean myself. Friedman has wonderful descriptions of Selkie Island that you just fall in love with this place without trying. There's a lot of magic weaved throughout it, and I loved every second of it. The writing was never too dull, but I wouldn't say it was the most amazing writing in the world. However, I enjoyed the writing. I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars for the writing. 


Next, the characters:
I absolutely loved the main character, Miranda. Friedman did a wonderful job revolving Miranda's world around science, and she made her unique this way. She was a character I'd love to meet, and she made her all the more real because she tempted her with alcohol and boys, but in order for you to know what Miranda decided, well, you'll have to read it yourself. Second of all, the other main character is Leo, and let me tell you, he's gorgeous and mysterious. Throughout the whole book, you can't stop questioning who the heck he is. Then, there's the side characters, like CeCe, who are like every other teenage girls. They drink and do stupid things, and you can't help but hate them. This is what I loved about the characters; they're so realistic. However, there was one tidbit I couldn't stand: Miranda's mom; now I know Mom's are supposed to be strict with their daughters but Friedman made her mom ridiculous at times. Miranda went out for a stroll on the beach, and then, her mom flips out on her for it which made no sense to me at all. Overall, though, I'd give the characters a 5 out of 5.


Next, we have the storyline:
The storyline wasn't too complicated. Girl goes to island; girl meets boy. Some things put me off, though. First of all, you know from the beginning that some creatures exist on Selkie Island, and Friedman makes it too obvious as to what Leo is although she never comes right out and tells you it. I did like that she never tells you quite what he is, but I didn't like how plain out obvious it is. On the other hand, there was a major twist in the story that was hinted at the beginning, and that twist had me completely going nuts! But...I feel like Friedman could've expanded with this story and done so much more with it. It almost feels too rushed which it's supposed to, but she could've went into more detail. This is why I'd give it a 3&1/2 out of 5.


Overall:
This was a great book to read, especially during the summer. It's a light read that doesn't make you frustrated, and the characters are delightful to meet. By the time you're done reading, you just want to pour yourself a glass of lemonade and relax on the beach. Too bad the beach is so far away! This book receives an overall 4 out of 5 stars. Aimee Friedman has made a wonderfully, delightful novel.
 

2 comments:

  1. Loved your review. And I can totally understand why you like the cover - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! And yes the cover is gorgeous; it's the whole reason I picked up the book in the first place.

    ReplyDelete