Friday, May 18, 2012

Egg Alternatives

Sorry about the messed up schedule, guys. I know I haven't been keeping up with my regular posting but that will change after next week, since next week is the last week of school. It's been hectic lately, but I'm trying to make it up to you guys as best as I can. And if I haven't viewed any of your blogs lately, I'm also sorry.

Anyways, I have an interesting topic I'd like to share with you guys. As you probably already figured out, I'm a huge health freak, so anytime I can find ways to be healthier, I want to share my knowledge. So lately, I've been trying to find alternatives to eggs since eggs have never been my favorite thing to eat. And I know lots of you out in the world are conscientious when it comes to cholesterol (same here). There are a lot of egg alternatives out there that I never imagined existed. Well, maybe not a lot, but a few which is better than nothing.

The first thing I ever came across was grinding up one table spoon of flax seed up with 3 table spoons of water. Now I don't know if you've ever tried this before, but to me, I absolutely hate nutty mixtures. This made for too much nuttiness. (I can't tolerate any nut butters. I can barely swallow them because they make me gag.) It may or may not bother you so this may be an option if you want something for a bread mixture, but for desserts and whatnot, this recipe may not be the best choice.

And then there's commercial egg replacers that I've heard about. To me, I'm not a big fan of processed food, so this one is out the door for me.

There's also mashed fruit. An interesting concept. It'll probably work well with baked goods, depending on what type of taste your looking for. 1/4 cup of banana can replace 1 egg! Sounds awesome to me.

Tofu is another choice. I know tofu usually makes non-vegetarians turn the other way, but tofu is a lot different than you'd expect. Society, from what I remember as growing up, has always made healthy food seem so disgusting and awful. I remember watching a TV show once, and the characters freaked out and made it seem as if tofu was the worst thing on the planet. Truthfully, it has no real significant taste to it, especially if you blend it in with other things like smoothies. I mean, it's only soybeans, and yes soybeans, are supposedly "not-so-good", but in a vegetarian's eyes, we'd rather eat too much soybeans than meat.
Anyways, now that my rant is over, 1/4 cup of blended silken tofu will do the job to replace one egg.

Now here's for my favorite recipe:
  • 5 tablespoons whole flaxseeds
  • 2 cups warm water 
Mix, cover, and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
Now you need to strain the mixture into a different container. I usually whisk the stuff around in the strainer to move the good through the strainer faster. Good thing about this recipe is that you can keep the flax seeds and eat those for health benefits while the goop is used as an egg replacer. 2 tablespoons of goop and equals one egg, and no nutty crunchy horribleness!

Also can use chia seeds which are highly nutritious!

Why should you keep the soaked flax seeds? Well, let me tell you a little secret. Non-soaked flax seeds pass right through our systems. So when you soak them, a digestive property is released from the seed, allowing for them to be easily digested, thus allowing nutrients to be absorbed into our system. Same goes with all seeds and nuts, except chia seeds which are a different story.


Hoped you found this information worth-while! Any comments or questions? Ask away!
~Kai


My sources:
  • http://www.jonathoncihlar.com/index.php?Post=flaxgoop&LocaleID=en
  • http://veganactivist.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/chia-does-the-trick/
  • http://www.livingfoodvillage.com/recipes/201-living-raw-flax-seed-crackers
        ^This last website has a recipe for flax seed crackers, so please check it out! Also talks more about soaking flax seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment