Monday, April 9, 2012

Writer's Block: An Author's Worst Enemy

First of all, I'm sorry that I haven't been keeping up-to-date with my blog. With Easter and whatnot, I kinda forgot I had one.

Lately, I've been coming up with amazing ideas for stories, but every time I try to start one, I can't get past the first page. It's like I can't get myself into the writing mode. I mean, I just completely finished my Sci-Fi novel not too long ago; everything about it is done. But now I can't get into the rhythm of writing another story. I'm not sure whether to start the next one or start on something completely new.

And every time I do get to the end of that first page, I get writer's block. I never believed in writer's block because if you do, you'll end up with it all the time. But now it's like I'm cursed. Every single story I write, I end up unable to move forward through it. It's like I'm so focused on the one I finished that I can't start up anything new.

I've never had trouble starting new stories, so it's weird to me. I'm trying to get past the horrible writer's block, but I just can't and have been unable to for the past week. I know it'll pass, but I wish it would just pass now.

 What have you guys done to get over your writer's block?

Well, it's time for me to send off a few new queries and wish for the best. Hope you guys had a Happy Easter!

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just have to put it all down and leave it for a bit, maybe a few days, but more often a couple of weeks... The important thing for me is to keep writing, little things, (journal entries, poems, short stories, paragraphs) anything creative then when I'm ready and my mind is clear I start again...
    I've also got loads of first pages, first chapters etc...some will never see the light of day, but some may become my 'next' project some time in the future!
    Have some fun just getting pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, without any pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write poems to temper the sting of writer's block. I also do some singing or writing lyrics. I find other creative outlets can often inspire me to overcome a block. Some quality time with loved ones for some fun also really helps. I've heard many times though, writing anything as much as possible is the best way to finally get through the block once and for all. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. I really do need to try keeping up with something even if it's not my novel. I have never had writer's block for this long before, but I need to try my best to push through it.

      Delete