Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Becoming a Vegetarian...

I've been a vegetarian for about two years now, and the best advice I could give to anyone looking into becoming one is: Educate yourself.


That is the most important piece of advice I could give anyone. I tried to educate myself about nutrition before I became one, but I didn't do a good job at it. So what resulted from it? I lost 15 pounds (I was little to begin with). I went through iron anemia, which isn't fun. It makes you feel exhausted 24/7, and you just don't have the will to do anything. BUT, it's not what it seems. After I educated myself some more, I became better with my diet. I don't suffer any health problems; I've actually seen a change in my health. I have more energy, and I feel better. But it's still hard for me to gain weight, but my weight is in the healthy range, I promise.


Now where am I going with this? Well, I'd like to give you some information you probably didn't know about us vegetarians. Well, first of all, we can't eat marshmallows, or anything containing gelatin. Why? Look it up yourself. Not all of us try and shove our vegetarianism on others. I could care less about other people's diets and how they want to live their life. We can't eat anything made by Hostess. They make their products with beef fat. (Made me kind of sad when I checked the ingredients).


Now you're probably thinking: Why are you posting about being a vegetarian?
Well, first of all, I'm thinking of posting recipes quite often, and pretty much anyone can eat those recipes. It's not like you can't substitute things in, if you wish to. Or if you'd like to have some healthy choices, they can benefit you that way too.


So overall, I promise I won't shove vegetarianism in your face. That's not my goal. My goal is to show people that vegetarianism isn't all that bad, and some of our recipes are pretty delicious. If you try some of them out, I bet you might see in a different light. Now am I saying you should become one? No. I could care less whether you become one or not.


Anyways, I will post some recipes, so I hope you look forward to adding some new things to your recipe box!



 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I came up with my own high calorie shake, which is very vanilla tasting. For anyone like me who's looking to gain weight but not in a super sugar, junk food way, here's a recipe you will enjoy. And you can change it in anyway you want.

Here's my version:
Super Calorie Shake Recipe:
1 cup Stonyfield Organic Very Vanilla Yoghurt (Found at Walmart, but you can use whatever you like)
1 cup Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea (Can be found at Walmart by Soymilk section.)
3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream (I use Madagascan Vanilla found at Target)
Protein powder (I use brown rice protein powder)
Silken Tofu (1-2 slices, depending how much/less you want. Or just leave out altogether.)

Directions:
Obviously you would add altogether and blend.


This usually adds up to near 700 calories. (I usually guesstimate, but it's in the general range.)
But you can add/change anything you like. This is just a recipe I use and love.


Anyways, do you have any super calorie shake recipes you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment