Friday, December 2, 2011

In which I rant about books.

Originality. Where have you gone? Lately, all I've been seeing is the long drawn out, over-used ideas. I feel like I'm reading the same thing over and over again. Girl meets boy. Boy is magical. They fall in love. The end. Now don't get me wrong. Obviously, that's how paranormal romances are supposed to go, but where are the twists and turns? Where's the risks? I haven't seen too much of it lately, and when there are risks, they turn out to be wussy risks. I want the danger. I want the forbidden love. I want the twists that keep me on my toes. I'm not saying hell with vampires and over-used creatures. I'm just saying where's the stuff that'll knock my socks off?

One book that surely knocked my socks off was The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Now that was exactly what I was looking for. It may not be a paranormal romance, but it has everything I could've possibly wanted in a novel. But you can find out more about it for yourself.

Now I'll get back to where I was. Originality. I'm not saying we should get rid of popular ideas altogether. I mean, that's where all the money is going. People enjoy that stuff. But I just don't want to read the same books with different names and places.

Which brings me to another thing. Self-published authors. Now, before you come up with the wrong idea, I'm not fully against it, but I'm not fully for it. I mean, authors like Amanda Hocking have done well with self-publishing. She wouldn't be where she was today if she didn't. But then there's those certain self-published authors that you can tell just by their writing why they couldn't snag an agent. I'm not saying self-publishing is the devil because it's not. It's just opening doorways for lots and lots of failure.

Another thing I would like to bring up is rejections. The worst thing in the process of getting published, but rejections are a big step in becoming a better author. Most of the time it means your writing needs more time to develop, and a lot of the times, that is very true. I would know. I've been rejected, and I'm glad, because I would've been embarrassed publishing something so juvenile. That book has so much more potential and I almost wasted it. But then there's those rejections where agents had second thoughts, but it's too late now. Sometimes an agent has to reject because he/she has something similar already, and they don't want competition against the author they already snagged up, would you? And then there are those agents who have to pay their bills, too. Even if the book is so amazing that he/she can't believe it, that doesn't mean that it will make it big time.

I think I've made my point here...

No comments:

Post a Comment